The God of Wealth or The God of Fortune – “Cai Shen” (财神爷) is in charge of a bureaucracy that includes numerous minor deities. He is frequently depicted riding a black tiger and accompanied by a gold ingot, a dignified figure robed in fine silks. According to Chinese customs, he is in charge of the world’s money and wealth.
Additionally, the God of Wealth aforesaid to descend from heaven every lunar New Year to check his adherents. Early in the morning, many families worship the God of Wealth by offering incense and inviting the god into their homes. Therefore, Chinese people will eat dumplings during the lunar New Year, which mimic ancient precious metal ingots.
According to legend, the God of Wealth will depart for heaven on the second day of the lunar New Year after being offered sacrifices. As a result, worshipers will burn the portrait of the deity they welcomed on New Year’s Eve, wishing for a luckier and more prosperous year.
Contrary to popular opinion, historical figures believed that the God of Wealth is the planet Jupiter, which is regarded as a star in traditional astrology. In the past, Chinese officials used it to convince peasants that the bright star was the Star of Wealth (财星), which we now referred to as the God of Wealth.
However, not everyone in today’s world is aware of the procedures in welcoming the God of Wealth. Therefore, this guide will show you how, with the help of the fundamental methods below.
Table of Contents
When to Welcome the God of Wealth
There is a certain day and hour for welcoming the God of Wealth into your home or office. Nevertheless, you should pray with a sincere heart regardless of your zodiac sign or religious practice. People born under the signs of the Rabbit or Rooster are advised not to attend the ceremony since their zodiac sign clashes with the day the God of Wealth arrives.
Please refer to the dates and times listed below for receiving the God of Wealth on the first day of Chinese New Year.
|Receiving the God of Wealth
|1st February 2022 (年初一)
|Between 2300hrs – 0100hrs (子时)
(Between 112° – 157°)
|Wealth from Career, Business
What Offerings To Prepare
Traditionally when we receive the God of Wealth, there will be many things to prepare. It’s also worth noting that odd numbers, such as 1, 3, 5, and 7, bring good luck, so arrange your offerings accordingly. Even numbers are considered unlucky, and you should only use them as memorial offerings instead. Based on your religious devotion or dietary requirements, the following is a broad outline of what you should plan for:
- A pair of large red candles: symbolizes happiness
- A set of joss sticks: symbolizes ritual to start prayers
- A set of God of Wealth incense papers: symbolizes gold offerings for the diety
- Three cups of Chinese white rice wine: symbolizes forgiveness for any wrongdoings
- Three cups of Chiese tea: symbolizes honor and respect
- Three types of sweet cakes
- New Year cake (also known as Nian Gao “年糕“): represents a year of growing fortune
- Prosperity cake (also known as Fa Gao “发糕“): represents prosperity
- Ji Hong cake (also know as “吉红糕“): represents increase in wealth and success
- Five cups of Chinese tea: symbolizes respect for the diety
- Five types of fresh fruits
- Apple: symbolizes peace and tranquility
- Banana: symbolizes your money and savings
- Mandarin Orange: symbolizes abundance and happiness
- Pear: symbolizes divine nourishment, wealth, and longevity
- Pineapple: symbolizes luck and good fortune
Alternatives for Offerings
Vegetarians can also worship using six vegetarian foods that are either cooked or acquired from dry supplies. The following are examples of these:
- Bean curd sheet (腐竹): represents obtaining money and happiness
- Chinese vermicelli (粉絲): represents a long life and longevity
- Dried lily buds (金针): represents wealth and gold
- Fat choy (发菜): represents making a lot of money
- Longan (龙眼): represents having a large family
- Wood ear fungus (木耳): represents longevity
It’s worth noting that individuals who don’t follow the above-mentioned religious practices will have no bearing on your ability to receive the God of Wealth. As a result, you do not need to be overly concerned about the offerings to the God of Wealth. Instead, you can focus on the date, time, and prayers sections of this post.
Change of Clothes and a Shower
It is crucial to receive God of Wealth with a clean body and fresh attire during the Lunar New Year. It is to show your sincerity and regard for the diety. Therefore, you should go for a shower to cleanse yourself. This ceremony can help you overcome inauspicious luck and attract fortunate good fortune. You can include the following objects in your shower as these are traditionally known to eliminate filth and offer good fortune:
- 1 section of lotus roots
- 1 stick of pomegranate branch with leaves
- 7 pieces of pomelo leaves
- Some flower petals including jasmine/chrysanthemum/orchid
Ritual of Water Bath
You can begin the ritual by placing all or part of the items listed above (depending on your preference) into a basin or bathtub filled with warm waters. Before using your shampoo and soap, you can shower with pre-mixed water. Collect the used items after you’ve finished bathing, place them in the plastic bag, and throw them away. Finally, as you throw them away, you should visualize the bad luck going away with them.
Prayers to the God of Wealth
When performing the prayers, you should make a vow to the God of Wealth to carry out what you have pledged. Thus, you are giving your energy by committing to what you will do in exchange for increasing your wealth. Whatever you offer must be proportional to the amount of money you expect to receive in return.
Those who stay in apartment flats will experience slight differences from those who remain in their private housing or bungalows. Therefore, when inviting the God of Wealth into your home, you can pray according to the steps listed below:
- Place the table of offerings in front of the incense burner prepared ahead of time (If you don’t have any incense burners, you can put them on a Prosperity Cake instead). The welcoming of God of Wealth should take place either outside the main door or on the balcony. You should also turn on all the lights in the house and open all the doors and windows.
- Light up the pair of red candles and place three (3) lighted joss sticks into the incense burner.
- Bring twelve (12) lighted joss sticks to ground level and worship three times in the direction of the God of Wealth using a compass, with the sky visible. There will be a very bright star visible in the night sky (between 2300 and 0100 hours), which will be the God of Wealth.
- Make a wish on the star and place three (3) lit joss sticks on the ground. You’ll have to project a picture of what you want in terms of wealth. In addition, because this is an energy exchange, you should state what you will do to get your wish to come true. You have to consider what you’ll do to exchange for more wealth when you commit to it.
- Recite “God of Wealth, come enter my house, my address is as follows” to invite the God of Wealth to your home while visualizing the God of Wealth entering your home. After that, you should burn the incense paper offerings to the God of Wealth in burning bins.
- Return home and place the remaining nine (9) lighted joss sticks in the incense burner.
The procedure is similar to that described above for Apartment Flats, with the following exception(s) highlighted below for your easy comparison:
- Light up twelve (12) joss sticks and make your way to the front of your house. Worship three times in the direction of the God of Wealth using a compass, with the sky visible. There will be a very bright star visible in the night sky (between 2300 and 0100 hours), which will be the God of Wealth.
- Make a wish on the star and place three (3) lit joss sticks on the ground of your main gate, within your house perimeter. You’ll have to project a picture of what you want in terms of wealth. In addition, because this is an energy exchange, you should state what you will do to get your wish to come true. You have to consider what you’ll do to exchange for more wealth when you commit to it.
Other Stars/Dieties to Consider
You can pray for assistance and happiness to the other directions and stars at the same time as you pray to the God of Wealth.
Star of Nobility (贵神) in South Direction
If you need guidance and support from others, mentors, or noblemen, for example, turn South direction and make a wish at the brightest star you can find. Imagine someone coming into your life to help you in difficult times when you make a wish. What will you do with the assistance once you have it?
When making a wish, try reciting the following: “Assist me, Star of Nobility, in facing my most difficult tasks yet to come. Allow others to come and assist me when things get tough. When I fall, they will assist me and provide me with the abundance, wisdom, financial assistance, or intangible aids that I require. My best days are yet to come, and I command you to aid me.”
More information on the Star of Nobility (贵神) can be found in the table below.
|Receiving the Star of Nobility
|1st February 2022 (年初一)
|Between 2300hrs – 0100hrs (子时)
(Between 158° – 202°)
|Support from mentors, noblemen
Star of Happiness (喜神) in North-West Direction
On the other hand, if you want to be happy, you can seek the Star of Happiness (喜神). This star is in charge of those who wish to marry, have children, or have deep relationship bonds with others. You must, however, look North direction and make a genuine desire in that direction.
Try reciting the following when making a wish: “Help me, Star of Happiness, to become a better person who can bring joy, happiness, and love. Connect me with someone who will like my company and with whom I can share my experiences and knowledge. It should be someone with whom I can share my life’s path and whom I can aid and guide. I command you in assisting me in making contact with this individual.”
The table below contains more information on the Star of Happiness.
|Receiving the Star of Happiness
|1st February 2022 (年初一)
|Between 2300hrs – 0100hrs (子时)
(Between 293° – 338°)
|Finding love, long-term relationships
Adding a Personal Touch
I’ve begun to welcome the God of Wealth into my home since a few years ago, and I’ve noticed an increase in wealth opportunities in my life. Not only do I see more riches chances out there, but I’ve also joined a network of like-minded people that are interested in cryptocurrency and stock market investing.
My God of Wealth offering set, which includes red candles, joss sticks, and incense paper, is what I purchase and use for my prayers. In addition, I prepare mandarin oranges, pineapple tarts, and other sweets. I also put in the effort to bathe and dress up. Most importantly, when expressing a wish to the God of Wealth, one should be serious and comprehend the energy exchange that occurs when one commits to achieving the things one desires.
All in all, pursing love, security, wealth, and good health are all worth it. Set your goals, whatever they are, and get on your way to make them come true. Finally, I’d want to leave you with this quote.
Your focus determines your reality.George Lucas
I would love your support if you can buy me a coffee! I’m accepting crypto coins as well!
Nano coin – near-zero transaction fees!
Ripple coin – one of the lowest transaction fees!
Donate Xrp to this address
Scan the QR code or copy the address below into your wallet to send some Xrp
Donate Nano to this address
Scan the QR code or copy the address below into your wallet to send some Nano
Donate Via Wallets
Select a wallet to accept donation in ETH, BNB, BUSD etc..